Once again BMJ Publishing are kindly providing prizes for the following categories;
Gut – Best basic science oral presentation
The winner will receive £350 (kindly sponsored by Gut)
Frontline Gastroenterology – Best patient benefit in Gastroenterology
The winner will receive £250 (kindly sponsored by Frontline Gastroenterology)
BMJOG - Best Clinical Science
The winner will have the article publishing charge waived (Usually £1,700 / €2,380 / $3,000 or for publishing a study protocol £1,000 / €1,450 / $1,650)
In addition the best oral presentation in each abstract category over the conference will receive £250 and the best poster in each category on each day of the conference receives £50.
- 4x £500 each will be available from the BSG Research Committee budget for 4 successful submitters of abstracts (criteria apply) to assist with costs associated with attending the conference. The application deadline has now passed.
- 6x £500 each will be available from the BSG Education Committee for travel bursaries for nurse members to attend. As of 3 April 2017, all six bursaries have been allocated.
- 10x £50 each (from a restricted education fund provided by MSD) will be available to nonclinical scientists who are (1) studying towards a higher degree in a gastroenterology-related area (2) but are not members of the BSG and (3) have registered to attend the Translational Science Masterclass (Signalling in epithelial cancer and inflammation, Thursday 22 June) only. Apply via email@example.com
Annual meeting research prizes:
- The Sir Francis Avery Jones BSG Research Award 2017 will enable the recipient to deliver a 20-minute lecture during the plenary session at BSG 2017. The winner will be entitled to full registration for the whole meeting (19-22 June 2017) and to travel and accommodation expenses (as specified in their speaker entitlement letter). The application deadline has now passed.
- £250 for best oral per abstract submission category over the course of the conference, excluding Education & Training (as they select only one abstract for presentation); funded from Research Committee budget
- £100 for best poster per abstract submission category per day of the conference (some categories have many posters so they are split between days and therefore have more than one prize, and some are combined after submission, depending on how many have been accepted in each category); this is an increase from £50/poster in previous years; funded from Research Committee budget
- each of the BSG’s three journal editors will select an abstract for a prize: Gut – Best basic science abstract for oral presentation –prize is £350; Frontline Gastroenterology – Best patient benefit in Gastroenterology –prize is £250; BMJOG – Best clinical science abstract for oral presentation – prize is a waiver of the article publishing charge (usually 1,700 GBP / 2,380 EUR / 3,000 USD or for publishing a study protocol 1,000 GBP / 1,450 EUR / 1,650 USD). Funded by BMJ Journals.
- The Hopkins Endoscopy Prize is awarded annually at the meeting of the British Society of Gastroenterology on the recommendation of the Endoscopy Committee. The prize is awarded for the best submission regarding a technical innovation in the field of endoscopy, a new method using existing endoscopic equipment or contribution to endoscopy research. It will be presented during the late afternoon session on Tuesday 20 June. The application deadline has now passed.
The following prizes are awarded annually by the BSG Trainees Section:
- ‘BSG Young Gastroenterologist of the Year – Clinical & Translational Science’is designed to identify and promote talented trainee clinical scientists nationally in order to promote research and science in gastroenterology for the future. This is a single award of £1000.
- The Alistair McIntyre Prize for Improving Gastroenterology Training is designed to support work that may improve gastroenterology training in the UK.
The top 3 ranked applicants will compete in the 'Educational Dragon's Den' at the BSG Trainees Section Symposium in June 2017, Manchester. The winner will be awarded the prize plus £1000 and two runners up will be given £500 towards their projects.
- BSG Young Gastroenterologist of the Year – Emerging Leader is designed to identify and promote talented trainee leaders nationally in order to promote leadership in gastroenterology for the future. This is a single award of £1000.
- BSG Trainees Section Out of Programme Award 2017 is designed to help gastroenterology trainees in the UK access training opportunities that are not available as part of their local training rotations. This is a single award of £1000.
The awards are open to any doctor training in gastroenterology in Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Applications are welcomed from doctors in LAT posts as well as those in numbered posts. Applicants must be BSG members.
This year the Trainees Section prizes will be presented in the main plenary session at the BSG annual meeting by the BSG President, Prof Martin Lombard.
The application deadline has now passed.
BSG-Norgine Trainee Bursary to attend BSG Annual Conference 2017
The BSG Trainees Section are very pleased to offer 5 bursaries for trainees to attend the BSG Annual Meeting to be held June 19th - 22nd in Manchester. Supported by Norgine Pharmaceuticals, the bursary is available to trainee members of the BSG. Applicants must hold a specialty registrar training number in gastroenterology or be in a LAT post. Each bursary will be awarded following competitive application and judging by the BSG independent of the sponsoring company. The bursary will cover the winning trainees' conference registration fees, reasonable travel costs, accommodation expenses and one evening meal. Norgine Pharmaceuticals, on behalf of the winning trainees, will arrange all aspects of the above. A minimum requirement is that trainees must attend all four days of the conference.
- Bursary Application Deadline: 3rd April 2017
- Advise applicants of status of their submission: 17th April 2017
- Deadline for confirmation of acceptance: 21nd April 2017
- Advise reserve list of status of their submission: 24th April 2017
- Deadline for reserve list to confirm their acceptance (if applicable): 28th April 2017